What I like about the idea of the authority blog is that I set myself up as an expert on a particular niche and then build up a trusting relationship with my audience who are therefore more likely to buy from me. The big problem I have is that to do this effectively I would have to commit to writing at least three good posts per week (probably more) as well as promoting the blog. Currently, I just do not have the time to do this. I was intending to gradually build up a bank of pre-written posts that I can use when I am short of inspiration or time. What gets in the way of this is thinking that while I am writing this bank of posts I am not making any money.
Then I had a thought. What if I started building up a list now? Also what if I used Squidoo as a means of building my list. In turn, I can use the list to boost traffic to my lenses. So, here's the plan:
- Choose a broad niche suitable for an authority blog
- Write an ebook to give away to entice people to sign up to my subscriber list
- Create a Squidoo account dedicated entirely to my chosen niche
- Use Squidoo (and other free resources) to offer my free ebook
- Send out emails to my list that provide useful information and engender trust. However, some of these emails will also include affiliate links
- For each lens I write I will create an alternative version which I can use as a blog post at a later date.
I am intending to document my progress and fully describe each step that I am taking here on this blog, so I invite you to follow me on this journey and see if I succeed or fail.